Thursday, October 7, 2010

Some Thoughts on Color

Working with color is one of my favorite parts of scrapbooking. And adding that pop of color, contrast or complimentary color is what makes my heart happy. I don't really have any formal art training, just know what I like and have read about. When I was a quilter, you mostly designed by light, medium and dark and the contrasts in the blocks were what made your design - of course, color was a key role there. And that has continued into my scrapbooking.

I love to see layouts that are pastel or white but never seem to pull it off unless I add black or a strong complimentary color. It is just what works for my eye.

In this layout, I combined papers from Sweet Season and Hollywood Vogue, both from Webster's Pages with a hit of complimentary magenta for my color pop. The photo is a new fave, I shared recently when I talked about photo actions - this one is Allure by Florabella.


The stripped chipboard was painted with DecoArts acrylic paint to make my photo really stand out.

A little ink splatter from a re-inker, I think it was Pine Needle by Ranger and Tattered Angels Caribbean Blue. I've been pulling out my old sprays that I made and playing with those.....wow, so much fun!


Some the new Webster's Pages embellishments shown here, also.....the netting flowers, I added in a Sparkler button to the center and the peacock feather from one of the bouquets and some bits of netting from the gorgeous new collection. And everyone's favorite the Bloomers...I love them cut apart and used as individual flowers.


Hope you are having a great week, I'm getting ready to do a bit of housework this morning and hopefully get into the studio for a few minutes. See you soon!

11 comments:

  1. Oh Lucy...I love the colors on this one and the addition of the black just makes it POP!!!

    You such a talented artist!!! Thanks for sharing with us today!!!

    Have a great one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a natural feeling for colours dear! LOVE how your layout turns out, and that photo is stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new Webster's goodies on here, and love the splatters on the paper and photo...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It`gorgeuos with colors like that!! Thank you for much inspiration.. have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfection and the photo is just gorgeous.
    I agree the black really makes it pop. TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous page, Lucy! Really, really love the combo of papers you used and you are truly showcasing the new embellies. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous page, Lucy!!
    Adore the Bloomers and the photo!

    Wishing you a wonderful weekend,

    XXXJenneke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy, this takes my breath away!! the page is GORGEOUSSSS!!!! and your girl is so pretty ;)

    and so is her mommy! love the photos you have just taken. you look beautiful my friend ;)

    love,jaz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucy, your work is always so gorgeous and admirable! This page is simply STUNNING! And I LUV the colors! Hugs, Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning layout you made! The picture is incredibly beautiful. Love the layers. Beautiful decorated. Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.