Monday, August 2, 2010

Paper Poppy

I had a wonderful time guest designing with the August kit from the Paper Poppy kit club this month!! Thank you, Aphra for sending me such a fabulous and fun kit to work with!! It's has tons of gorgeous Cosmo Cricket DeLovely and Summer Squash from Jillibean Soup, AC brads and letters - twine- Maya Road flowers and mist!!

My first project is using their monthly sketch - Em is learning to dive this summer and I had to laugh at these photos!! lol



Here is Liz Qualman's awesome sketch, as you can see, I followed the sketch pretty closely as it worked perfectly with my photos.




Don't those balloons just scream summer party?!?


The title effect was one of those happy accidents.....thank goodness. I started by painting the letters black and then they were too dark, so I sanded them back - then painted them white and they looked kind of grey, so I painted some dots with Shimmerz Pearlz and then they were too spotty, so I painted over all of that with the green Maya mist....whew!! I'm embarrassed to say how long I fiddled with them. lol

Hope you have a great week - I'm trying to get everything done before vacation!!! Woohoo - the beach in just a few days!

****I recently had a question asked about how I store my dimensional layouts from Donna. And I use 3 ring binders - I usually buy the American Crafts ones and I don't pack too many pages into each book to give some breathing room. If anything on the layout sticks off the page - on the side, I cut a slit in the page protector with a craft knife to let it extend. If you have an extremely dimensional area on the surface you could cut an area out of the page protector, too. Thanks for asking! *****

18 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely and happy summer layout! LOVE the balloons!!! And YEAY for "flopportunities" aka happy accidents! I LOVE when that happens - no matter how much time it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lucy for the storage information and BTW that's brilliant! I love the pics of your precious frog diver. She'll soon graduate to graceful swan and you'll be glad you have this LO.
    BTW I love how those letters came out, who knows maybe you just invented a new paint technique. HA!
    Hope you have a great vacation at the beach, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos are so lovely and fun, and so is your LO! When I first saw your alphas they give me a bit of a giggle LOL. Funny how accidents can sometimes lead to the finishing touches of a page ...
    And aww, the beach, now doesn't that sound wonderful! Have a fun time Lucy!
    Love xxx Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty. I love these papers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy, so, so, so beautiful!!! I love this papers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! This is so adorable, Lucy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a happy layout, Lucy!!! LOVE the alphas, the color matches so well with the title!!
    Wishing you a wonderful vacation at the beach!!

    XXXJenneke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missed you at CHA! But I'm sure you were busy creating too!!! I love this, you did a great job with Liz's sketch and those pics are adorable, she looks like a little frog for sure!!!! And I've had incidents like your title letters, but yours turned out beautifully, I've thrown quite a few away, lol!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucy, this layout is so adorable! Love all the dimension and details as always. Em's frog jump is too cute for words! :)

    Chelsea
    ps, hope you got my email ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to start working more with sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful and funny pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... this is such a fun and bright LO! love it! I was laughing about your title.. how much hard work,hee... hee... I go thru that too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. totally awesome, as always, lucy! love how the letters turned out - happy accidents are the best ;-) I'm so sorry i haven't called you back yet, things have been quite crazy busy here! i will call you soon! miss you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is gorgeous, lucy! you know i'm a fan:)
    missed you at cha, but did get to meet and hang with aphra...take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving that banner of lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous!i Love the hand cutted banner, beautiful and those photo's rock!Love what you did with those alpha's, good accidents happen ;)
    That sketch is aweome!Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lucy, please to meet you! Love this Project of yours! Great sketch interpretation, love all the details and the pictures are great too.
    1 Huge Hug to You, Julia Sáddi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.