Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Tribute to my Grandma

One of the most influential woman in my life was my grandma, Betty Jane Huston. Sadly, she passed away yesterday and I am overcome with memories and love for her. I am so thankful for the things she passed down to me: to have a cheerful heart, not to complain, and to appreciate the little things, and most of all for my mother, who is so much like her. She had many talents: to love many people, the gift of music, artistic and a poet, but foremost she loved her family and you always knew that came first for her.




I would like to share a few of her poems that really touched me.

My grandma was the mother to 6 girls and 2 boys - and a wonderful mother she was.



Our Girls

They are gone now,
All six of them
With red-gold curls

My mother told me
"Enjoy them while you may,
For time is short and each
Will have her wedding day."

So I listened
To laughter and song
Taught them to sew and cook
To pray and read a good book.

And surely they went
One by one.
Each has followed her star.
And this mother is glad
They are what they are.





In Dreams

In dreams you live
I take your hand
I hear your voice
I understand.

I see your eyes
I see your smile
And I am happy
A little while.

Then morning comes
The dream is gone
I am bereft
Alone, alone.
-1989 after the death of her husband, Ivan


Our 4 Generations





Of Mist

It is said, our live are like a mist that appears
Then vanishes - perhaps into the sunshine.
In that brief came the children to be kissed
And loved and subtly guided; each a rare wine.

There were the sun, the moon, and the stars
The wind, the snow and the rain,
Where we faltered there were the hands
That reached out to help us again and again.
There were the tasks to be done, the flowers to pick,
The songs to be sung and the care of the sick.

For there was a mist that had merged with mine
And we were carried over in a time
That was briefly ours.
Suddenly it was wrenched away and carried afar.
Someday I'll find it - perhaps entwined around a star.
- 1992

Love you, Grandma and I'll miss you.

24 comments:

  1. I am so sorry, about your loss, Lucy :( What a wonderful woman she must have been! And what a beautiful tribute to her. Her poems are lovely... it seems as though she really "got" life... Lived it and cherished it - and she left her legacy of family and remembering to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry about your loss, these pictures and poems are really touching, you been really lucky to have had her all this time because you have learn a lot from her wisdom and keep it with you forever. Hope time and your family heal some of the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful memory of your sweet grandma! You are in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Her poems are beautiful, and I'm glad to hear you have such fond memories of her.
    Love xxx Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy I am so very sorry for your loss!!!! What a wonderful grandmother you had and what wonderful poems.. they brought tears to my eyes!!!! The best are the memories...hold them dear to your heart....I so miss my Nana!!! You are in my thoughts today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy, I am so sorry about your Grandma...These poems are beautiful and you definitely have lots of your grandmothers traits. Big hugs to you my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss - beautiful poems and pictures! Aren't our memories of our grandmother wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about your loss. Beautiful words in the poem. Hugs to you! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for your loss Lucy! My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am in tears. what an amazing women and i am so sorry for your loss but am overwhelmed at how inspiring she was. i hope you can find some peace soon but realize you need time to grieve. i can only imagine how proud of you she was...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear of your loss - treasure your memories, some of us have none. Her poetry is beautiful, what a gifted woman, and to have brought up 8 children in what were difficult times is a tribute itself - thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweetie.. thanks for sharing the poems. so beautiful.. I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear of your loss, Lucy !!!

    Such a legacy she's left behind! May you be comforted by all the beautiful memories and mementoes from her !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry that you have lost such a wonderful Grandmother...The old photos make me feel sad for mine but I am so grateful for everything she passed onto me, knowingly and unknowingly..although I'm not sure I'm grateful for our love of collecting junk and keeping messy houses!!
    She looks alot like you and writes such lovely poetry...God Bless you both. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. My prayers and toughts are with you. I know that she lives on in you and all your wonderful talents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucy, you and your family are in my prayers, The tribute to your Grandmother is absolutely beautiful, I see where you got your talent from...and her poems are breath taking...brought tears to my eyes, what a treasure to leave behind. I know you must have been proud to call her your grandmother. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucy i am sorry to hear about your loss. Reading the poems bring tears to my eyes. i know how much you are going through right now,for i went through this journey few years back .i pray that you will feel okay soon and just know that grandma is in the good hands of the nagels now. takecare and love and hugs,-jaz

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW Lucy I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds as if your grandma was a truly inspirational woman. Her poetry is beautiful! You must feel blessed to have had her in your life. I can tell that she would have been very inspirational. Hang in there Lucy!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sorry to hear about your recent loss Lucy, sending you some Cyber Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. my deepest condolences, Lucy... :( beautiful memories tucked in your little heart.. take care...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful tribute... just lovely poems. So wonderful that she left you with more than just memories...but a legacy. Thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sorry for your loss; Lucy your tribute to your Grandma has really touched me!! I can feel through your words what a wonderful person she must have been!! Her poems are amazing!! The photo of your Grandma as a young woman looks startlingly like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so lucky that you have a beautiful role model in your life. She will forever be here because of you. I know...I feel the same about my Grandma passing recently too. You are very blessed. lots of xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.