Thursday, September 24, 2009

Memories at Dusk - Canvas

I had the sweetest gift in the mail from my mom last week. She had noticed my ooohh's and aahhhh's over some new mediums by Liquitex in the Dick Blick catalog and surprised me with a package sent to my house. Thanks, Mom!! xoxo


So I began by building some texture onto a 12x12 canvas with Liquitex Natural Sand- texture gel - this stuff is awesome - I linked it to the catalog if you want some for yourself. ;) I applied it with a palette knife along the top and bottom edges and let it dry. Then a coat of gesso and blended some acrylic paint in soft colors. Then I used Shimmerz Spritz in Baby's Breath for a pearly glimmer. Then laid out my design and attached the papers with gel medium. I'll add some notes about the details with the close-ups but here is the completed project - one of my personal favorites to date.


I feel it really captured the soft feel of twilight at the beach and the freedom of childhood - two things I adore.


Some of the pearl effect of the Shimmerz and I cut out the butterflies from a Prima papers and painted it with some Shimmerz in Pixie Dust - love the glitz and shine.


To mimic the sunset, I added some Shimmerz Blinz in Gold Gimmer - very glittery!!

A close-up of my embellishment cluster - don't you love the new Prima flowers! Dreamy! I made some wire wraps with pearl beads to add a sheen and dimension. Alsoadded some hand-dyed scrim to add some softness and the feel of seaweed.

Notice the great texture from the sand texture and sheen!

The side angle - I am in love with this piece!!

*******************************************************************
Things are getting back to normal here - Em's back to school - she asked the funniest question this weekend, she is always wanting to be a big girl and loves when people say she looks older....she asked if I could just change her number to 6. hehehe Mom the miracle worker. lol
Do you wish you could 'change' your number?
I am content with mine. Hope you are having a great week!
Lucy

27 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I wish I could paint, don't know how to blend, mix and match paints.I would certainly not change my number for a bigger one, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Lucy! Amazing texture on the background! The piece is spectacular! Love every single detail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The background is just quite something else ! Way to rawk the Primas on this canvas , Lucy !

    Wendy & I was admiring one of your Sew Somersets pub at our LSS this morning - a fabric book I believe ! Just beautiful !!!!

    & I have some projects in the making rite now that is making use of some of your fabric scraps that you sent over ! only too happy I have them !

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING!!!! Perfect background for the beautiful picture!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Perfect Lucy....I love it and you did an OUTSTANDING JOB on this one!!!!! Love all the texture and softness of color!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT IS STUNNING!!!! I love the texture and the softness to this!!!!! WOW Hugs Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy, that is so soft and pretty!!! Love all the elements, the flowers, the butterflies, so fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This canvas is pure gorgeous-ness. I love the texture. The colours too are lovely. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful canvas, fantastic work, I'm lovin your blog!

    cheers
    Shazza

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy freakin' awesome. dreamy is right. this piece belongs in a showcase Lucy! not in album!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is SO PRETTY! I bet in real life it is even more amazing! Love that photo too.

    Michelle @ AMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW Lucy!
    This is breathtaking!!!
    :)
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely breathtaking, Lucy! I thought your last layout was my favorite, but this one is giving it a run for it's money. Fabulous work! By the way, I mentioned you on my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great project Lucy! You are always creating something amazing! And congrats on becoming a Shimmerz girl! You are perfect for them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous piece! The texture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow Lucy, this is stunning, amazing, gorgeous, spectacular, outstanding, breath-taking, ... I could go on and on!
    xxx Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I'll change my number please! LOL!

    This is a gorgeous canvas project, Lucy! And what a thoughtful mom you have!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that canvas is amazing Lucy...you are so artistic

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lucy...this is UNBELIEVABLY GORGEOUS....MY JAW IS ON THE FLOOR GIRL!!!!!!!!

    You should be so proud of this piece, I think if we had the scrapbooking olympics you should win the GOLD hands down!!!!

    Thank you for sharing this with us:)

    Emma...in my book you can be 6! You are sooo cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's gorgeous!!!!
    I love all the texture!!!!
    xxxx
    Chimene

    ReplyDelete
  22. No wonder you're in love with it, it's gorgeous! You did such a beautiful job with it! Love the soft color, it really does look just like the beach at sunset! Gorgeous work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. gasp... this is gooorgeous, lucy! and what a sweet and thoughtful mama you have! hmm, good question... i think i am content with my number too - life is good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very inspiring Lucy:) Makes me want to reach out and touch the canvas !

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can see why you love it...it's spectacular! Love all the texture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.