Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sewing experiment...

This month the challenge at inspireMe is to do some creative stitching on a layout. So I went all out to try something new. As you know I have been a quilter and sewer for years. My mom taught me to sew when I was 12 and I made my first quilt when I was 18, so drawing from those experiences are pretty effortless at this point. That is one of my goals this year - to try to combine more of my other artistic talents into my work.

My idea - use paper like a piece of fabric and quilt it. Also to do some bobbin work embroidery somewhere.
This is the bobbin embroidery. That is where you stitch with a heavy thread in the bobbin- bypassing your bobbin tension and sew from the back side of the paper. It turned out great! And I added some french knots and chalk to accent the flowers.


Then I wet and crumpled the paper, smoothed it out and let it dry. Then layered the paper with cotton batting and free-motion stitched over the entire piece in a meandering pattern. It added a beautiful tone-on-tone texture!


Then just did some layering of papers and this adorable photo of Em. I also cut some hot pink petals from velvet and made a flower to match the one that Emma is holding. I love feathers and I am sure you have been seeing those around lately - so these yellow ones added the perfect finishing touch along with some paper curls.



The end result!


I was unsure about my title and then looked at Scrapping the Music this week and loved this part of this song by Sugarbomb.

Anyway, that is all for now! See you soon! :D
Lucy

30 comments:

  1. wassup home skillet .. yah yha I know I been MIA ... okay lol

    Seriously .. blown away WOW. I need to start sewing on my pages but I am just too nervous I guess. I love your LO. Simply Love it ..

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, it's all I can say, this is marvelous!!!!!!! super creative LO this week! thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful page! I love all the details. Amazing design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello!

    Yes, everything is handmade (assembled). The paper is handmade, but purchased at a store.

    I love the french knots! What a cool idea to stitch on the layout!

    :)
    candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Lucy!
    thanks for yur favourable comments on my blog! your art rocks! i am trying.. started at a very late age in life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing job incorporating your sewing skills on this LO! Love, love, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. whoa , Lucy ! I knew you'd rock this challenge effortlessly ! woohoo ! terrific in everywhere !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Lucy! I really love all the details on this piece. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, you blow me away every single time! AMAZING!! I really want to try that bobbin embroidery - is that something that can be done on any old machine or does mine have to have fancy settings (b/c it doesn't, lol)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think blown away is the word, fabulous sewing. I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Your ideas always amaze me. Great photo of EM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bobbin work can be done on any machine - if anyone has any questions feel free to email me @
    crafty75@gmail.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucy...this is absolutely stunning. Love all the stitching and that picture of Em is just the sweetest :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work! Wow wow wow! I think YOU have inspired ME :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cow this is just awesome. Love it all. Thanks for playing alongwith us at STM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You blew this one right out of the ballpark Lucy!!!! Absolutely AMAZING Girl!!!!! I love the stitching, distressing, details to this drop dead GORGEOUS page!!!!!

    Emma....You are so adorable. I love this pic of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! This is incredible!! Love it Lucy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on all your good news Lucy! And thanks again for the wonderful inspiration! Love that mixed media piece you just created!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know how you figured out a way to be even more creative but you did. Love the layout. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous technique on this, Lucy, and I love all the details!! It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is gorgeous! It's been awhile since I've caught up with you and it looks like you've been busy! Love the flower embellishments; they are *awesome* in person. Thanks so much for teaching us the journal backgrounds tonight; that was so much fun and I love how it turned out. Can't wait 'til next time! (( ))

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just AWESOME!!! Love all the sewing here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow... LUCY... you really nail this challenge.......... SO AMAZING... I can look and look again! BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Soooo feminine and gorgeous!!!
    Thanks for playing with us at stm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Breath taking! WOW!!! All the details and workmanship that went into this layout is amazing! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!! LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE the stitching techniques, the COLORS...that photo and the LYRICS U chose are AMAZING!!!!!!! Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooooo MUCH for playing along with us! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  28. OH WOW!!! This is completely beautiful! I love the stitching, love the details! Thanks for playing along with us this week at STM!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your layouts are AMAZING! I'm in awe...I really love the "your'e everything" LO.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.