Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Handmade Paper Flowers

I made these handmade paper flowers to coordinate perfectly with this LO and thought I would share the tutorial that I made. I just love Cosmo Cricket and thought that these papers from the Sugar Pie line gave this LO a sweet homespun touch. Of course I added stitching and some distressing, too!

Here was my inspiration for the flowers - aren't these new flowers from Prima adorable! So, of course I was thinking, well, I want them to match my LO - and I want to make them the size I want and vary the colors - and this is what I came up with.
Step 1 - Choose your papers to make your flower layers from - I chose to make mine 4 layers.It is very important that your paper have a white core to get the effect that mine have - If not you could go over the edges with gesso or white ink but I don't think it will look the same. It looks good to have shades from light to dark or just to coordinate with your LO. You could also mix and match patterned paper.

Step 2 - Cut circles from your chosen papers graduating in size - my largest circle was roughly 3" and the others about 1/2" smaller. Cut them with a slight wave to the edges or you could make them oblong, too.


Step 3 - Distress the edges of each petal with scissors or distressing tool. With the scissor use the side of the blade and be careful not to cut yourself! lol You can also dampen them with water to help hold their shape.
Step 4 - Shape each petal individually by crumpling and cupping it to make a more organic shape.
Step 5 - Layer your petals on top of each other - I offset mine but the ones from Prima are centered on each other.

Step 6 - Sew a button in the center of your petals to hold them together. I used a awl to poke through all four layers at once and then used the holes to stitch through. You could also just use a hole punch and a decorative brad.

Step 7 - I shaped my flowers a little more after they were all attached together. And then you are ready to apply it to your project!

I hope you enjoyed seeing how I made these quick and easy paper flowers and will try them for yourself! Thanks for taking the time to look at my project. How do you think I did with the instructions and photos? I hope it is easy to understand. :) If you make some please send me the link so I can see! :)

4 comments:

  1. Love these! What a brilliant idea. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved making these flowers Lucy ! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flowrs are awesome and such a great tutorial to make ones in your own colors. The layout is too adorable :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.