Sunday, October 5, 2008

Paper Quilting Technique

Fall always makes me think of quilts and autumn leaves so I wanted to combine both in this LO.

Step 1 - Cut 3" squares from 9 different papers - I chose fall colors to go with my photo.

Step 2 - Lay out the squares to see how the colors go togther and see if you like the color and pattern combination.

Step 3 - Wet and crumple your papers to give the appearance of fabric. Gently smooth out and let dry.

Step 4 - Tear a piece of muslin or whatever fabric you want to use for the background - mine is 10" square. You can cut or use pinking shears if you want. I let my edges ravel to add to the homespun look. Layer your paper squares onto the muslin with the edges touching and add a small amout of glue in the center of each paper square to hold in place while you stitch.

Step 5 - Stitch over the seams of the paper using a zig-zag stitch - I did the interior rows first and then the outside.


This is how the back will look.

After you have finished stitching, trim any loose threads and crumple to soften. This makes a great textured layer for a LO. I just left mine a little rumpled and glued it onto my LO with fabric glue.

Hope you will give this fun and easy technique a try! :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! This is SOOO gorgeous! I totally have to try this out! Thanks for the steps!
    ~Chelsea
    http://hapemome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I am off to make my paper quilt. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, I just love this Quilt LO... What a wonderful Idea, I have done those photo on fabric quilts, and started to do this once in a Mini album, However I still have it in my Pile...LOL! Love how this came out. I am inspired to do one now..
    A Huge Congratulations on Moving to Class # 5... You have been Rocking in each Class. I am in the Cheering Section for Ya Lucy... It is a wonderful chance to get on the Team... You are doing so well. I am still trying to keep up with the Class instructions but it is nice to know if I can't get the project done it is ok...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the fun tutorial!!!! I love quilts!!!! And your lo came out adorable!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fabulous! Thx for stopping by my blog, I am bookmarking you!! You have some great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SOOOOOO pretty, Lucy! Very clever and beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do next in TD school. I'm rootin' for you ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.