Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Altered Flower Box

I altered this wooden box that contained Prima Velvet Roses for a contest at Prima - called Easy to be Green.

The photo I used is of my great-grandmother, Helen Netcott Main and the button is from a fur coat she owned. I love this photo and cannot believe how much my mom resembles her.

I first coated the box with a light coat of gesso and wiped part of it away and then collaged torn prima papers with gel medium. Then inked the edges of the box to distress and then dry brushed the entire box with another coat of gesso and wiped away again. I finished with another coat of gel medium to seal.


The interior was painted with gesso and paper on back and partially on interior sides. I added dimension to the photo and velvet rose by layering pieces of foam core board to build a base for them. I used glimmer mist on the rose to add a little more color and found a vintage hankie to frame out the photo.




I am quite pleased with the end result. I have wanted to use this photo for a long time and wanted to display it with the button so this worked perfectly! The other contest entries were beautiful, so I will be waiting to see who the winners are. My fingers are crossed! lol And even it I don't win it will be a lovely addition to my home!

7 comments:

  1. What a stunning project, Lucy! I love the fact that you used a photo of your great-grandmother on it. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Lucy! This is absolutely breathtaking! You go, Girl!

    Good luck to you in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy...this is gorgeous. I love the colors and your blended the papers so beautifully. That button is just the coolest. I have never seen one like that. Oh, and you know I have my fingers crossed. I am always in your corner rooting for ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy, this came out gorgeous! What a great project and such a great momento of your great grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy you amaze me ALL THE TIME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy, that is just lovely. You do the most beautiful tribute work. I love it. What a way to honor your "mothers".

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is fantastic Lucy, love the picture, and how ingenious to use the button. it's all perfect. love it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.